Milo Ice Cream
- 1 c. whole milk (1/4 c. cream + 3/4 c. skim milk)
- 1/2 c. milo powder
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 t. vanilla bean paste
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- Optional: swirl with milo ganache
On the stove, warm 1 c. cream, milk, milo, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour remaining cup of cream in a large bowl over a prepared ice bath. In another large bowl, whisk together the yolks. When the milk mixture has been warmed thoroughly, slowly whisk it into the yolks. Pour the mixture back into the pot, and return it to the heat. Cook on medium, stirring continuously until the mixture has coated the spoon. Strain the milk and egg mixture into the ice-bathing cream. Stir until cooled, and then refrigerate for at least 4-5+ hours before churning.
Creamy Cottage Cheese Mac (3 servings)
- 6 oz. whole grain penne, super al dente (boiled 8-9 mins)
- 5 slices kraft fat-free american cheese, torn in small pieces
- 1/2 c. fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 c. low-fat sour cream
- granulated garlic
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 3 T. italian panko bread crumbs
- 2 slices light edam cheese
Cook pasta. Strain and add the pasta right back into the pot (with the stove turned off at this point.) Add american cheese and cottage cheese. Stir until gooey. Fold in the sour cream, garlic, s&p, and then the ketchup. Top with bread crumbs and edam cheese. Broil in the oven for 5-ish minutes or until browned. Serve with grilled chicken breast.
Savory Oatmeal for One
- 1/2 c. oatmeal, cooked al dente with water
- 1 t. evoo
- 2 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 small shallots, minced
- 1 T. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 T. fat-free milk
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg, fried sunny-side-up w/ yolk still runny
In a small pot, bring about a cup of water to a boil. Add the oatmeal and stir. Cook for a couple minutes until al dente. Pour into a strainer to remove water.
In a small pan, fry an egg and then set it aside. Heat the evoo to saute the mushrooms and shallots until soft. Fold the oatmeal into the mushroom mixture and incorporate the cheese. Pour in the milk, and continue cooking for another minute.
Serve warm with the fried egg, yum-my :)!
Durian is the fruit of all fruits in the entire universe. I LOVE DURIAN. The closest I can get to fresh durian it is in the freezer department of our local grocery store…but it’s alright, it’ll do just fine. I remember when we went to Thailand– signs everywhere prohibiting the presence of durian in the bus, our hotel lobby, and other various public places. Whaaaaaat? Durian Capital not allowing durian?! Yeah, it made zero sense to me. We were able to eat some INSIDE our hotel room though, hee hee! That was the last time I had fresh durian…I think. The frozen stuff is pretty comparable though. Since then I’ve occasionally had the frozen goodness and several times I had it in cake & frosting form, which is omg-deliciouss. Hate it or love it. I personally (LOVE)³ it.
Profiteroles | Cream Puffs | Choux Pastry
- 3 oz. water
- 50 g. unsalted butter
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/4 t. granulated sugar
- 1/4 t. durian essence
- 20 g. cake flour
- 50 g. unbleached bread flour
- Melt butter, water, salt, and sugar is a small pan until it begins to slightly bubble. Add the durian essence, and turn the heat to low.
- Add the flours to the liquid and cook until a ball of dough forms. Cook for another minute or two, the dough should be cakey and no longer stick to the pan.
- Transfer the dough to a food processor and pulse several times to cool. Add one egg to the dough and completely blend it in. Add the second egg and full incorporate it into the dough as well. The dough should be somewhat thick.
- Scoop the batter into a piping bag with a large frosting tip and pipette 1″ rounds onto a Silpat. Then, with a wet brush, flatten the tips.
- Trial 2: Bake at 400F-heated oven for 15 minutes. Turn down to 350F, and bake for 5 more minutes. Finally, turn the oven off with the profiteroles inside for a few more minutes before removing them to cool and fill with cream.
- 450 g. durian pulp, pureed
- 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Fold pureed durian in with the whipped cream. Spoon or pipe cream into the profiteroles.