Vegan Cinnamon Rolls via Naturally Ella
(makes 8 rolls)
- 1 T. ground golden flax seed meal + 3 T. water
- 3/4 c. unsweetened almond milk, microwaved for 1 minute
- 1 T. natural cane sugar
- 2 1/4 t. instant yeast
- 2 T. grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c. – 1 c. unbleached all purpose flour (I used 3/4 c. ish)
- 1 T. grapeseed oil
- 1/3 c. dark brown sugar
- 2 T. ground cinnamon
- Combine the water and flax seed in a small bowl.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add warmed milk, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for about five minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Add the oil, salt, and whole wheat pastry flour, and then give it a swirl.
- Attach the dough hook to the stand mixer, and start mixing on low to medium speed. Begin adding the all purpose flour, starting with 1/2 c. Slowly add tablespoons of flour at a time, until a soft (but not sticky) dough has formed. The dough will pull always from the sides but still be a little sticky at the bottom. Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes.
- Ball the dough and brush it with oil. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm setting for about an hour or until the dough has more than doubled in size.
- Flour a rolling pin and a working surface with all purpose flour. Roll the dough out to a 8″x12″ rectangle. Brush the oil on the top surface of the dough and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon. Begin rolling the dough lengthwise and away. Cut the roll with a sharp/floured knife in half, and continue to half the halves until 8 rolls are made. Arrange the rolls onto a oil-brushed dish. Let the rolls rise one more time for 45 minutes or so.
- Bake the rolls in a preheated 350F oven for approximately 16 minutes. Serve warm or rewarmed in a convection oven for a crispier coating with the same moist center.