Perfectly smooth, perfectly sweet, not too vanilla-y or egg-y or milk-y.
It tastes wayyy better than it looks, promise!
The Perfect Flan 1.0 (makes 1 large 10 oz. ramekin)
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar + 2 T. boiling water
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 T. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1/4 t. vanilla extract
- Gently fold the sugar in with the egg in a small bowl. Measure out the cream and milk into a measuring cup together. Add the vanilla, sugar, and egg to the milk mixture. Set aside for the sugar to dissolve.
- In a boiling pot, boil a couple cups of water. In a small non-reactive pan, melt the sugar on medium-low heat. Use the back of a wooden chopstick to swirl and break apart any sugar chunks. Very carefully add the boiling water, it will sizzle. Continue caramelizing the sugar to a dark orange or desired color– darker is better in my book (but not burnt)! Immediately pour the hot sugar into the ramekin and swirl to cover the base. If the sugar stiffened too quickly, microwave it for 15 seconds.
- Using a fine-meshed sieve and a wooden spoon, filter the milk mixture into a large bowl. Repeat 2-3 times to eliminate any air bubbles. Pour it into the ramekin, on top of the hardened sugar.
- Place the ramekin in a towel-lined pan on top of a baking sheet. Pour the boiling water into the towel in the pan to submerge half of the ramekin. Using a sheet of foil, secure the pan. Steam at 325F for 1 hour.