Chicken Pot Phyllo-Pie (makes 3 servings)
- 16 oz. chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 2 t. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled & quartered
- 1 small-medium yukon gold potato, cubed
- ~1/4 c. water
- 1 c. fat-free milk, at room temperature
- 2 T. all purpose flour
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1 1/4 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. low-fat sour cream*
- 3 T. frozen peas
- salt & pepper
- 6 sheets of phyllo dough, quartered
- canola oil cooking spray
- Heat 1 t. of olive oil in a medium saucepan to slightly soften garlic, shallots, and carrots. After about 5 minutes, stir in the potato and 1/4 c. of water. Cover and occasionally stir for about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss the cubed chicken breasts in 1 t. olive oil, salt, and pepper. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, and brown the chicken until ALMOST completely cooked. Pour the chicken into a clean dish and set aside.
- Returning to Step 1, add the milk to warm. Whisk in the flour, and the mixture will begin to thicken up pretty well. Sprinkle in the oregano, and then pour in the chicken broth. Cook and stir for another 10 minutes or so.
- Lastly, stir in the sour cream, chicken, and peas. Bring the mixture to a quick boil, and remove it from the heat.
*omit the sour cream next time– it coagulates when baked…maybe use fat-free or reduced fat cream cheese?
- Ladle into ramekins. Cover with phyllo dough, making sure to push around the edges to seal. Lightly spray the phyllo with cooking spray, and bake the pies on a cookie sheet in a 350F-heated oven for 20 minutes.