Hot Fudge Pudding Cake via Cook’s Country (makes 1-9×9 pan)
• 1 c. all-purpose flour
• 1/2 c. + 1/2 c. granulated sugar
• 1/4 c. + 1/4 c. dp* cocoa powder
• 2 t. baking powder
• 1/4 t. salt
• 1/2 c. whole milk
• 4 T. unsalted butter, melted
• 2 t. vanilla extract
• 1 egg yolk
• 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
• 1 c. boiling hot water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg yolk.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture. When they are almost completely combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a baking-sprayed glass baking pan. Press the batter down into the edges.
- Combine remaining sugar and cocoa powder, and then sprinkle on top of the batter. Pour over the boiling water.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let it cool for ~10 minutes before serving. Pairs well with vanilla bean ice cream!!
* Unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder is alkalized to neutralize the acidity in cocoa powder, so because of this it is non-reactive with baking soda. Dutch-processed has a mild and delicate flavor, much less bitter then natural unsweetened cocoa powder.
Substitution for 3 T. Dutch-processed = 3 T. natural cocoa + 1/8 t. baking soda.