I have never eaten a sweet potato french fry that I have ever enjoyed, whether fried or baked. These were so dangerously addicting, I think he, my Mr. Potato, agreed as well. He didn’t say anything really, but actions speak louder than words sometimes :)
I did a little experiment with olive oil vs. egg whites and foil vs. parchment paper. The olive oil browned the potato, but it really did not make it crispy. The foil did the same thing with both the olive oil and egg whites– not so crispy. The egg white coated sweet potatoes baked on parchment paper turned out the best (shown above on the right). Parchment paper is AMAZING for everything! It works well with baking french fries because it doesn’t stick, and it takes care of the extra moisture from the sweet potatoes. More moisture circulating in the oven would result in a steaming effect and in turn create a softer “fry.”
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries via Natural Noshing
- 2 small-medium sized white sweet potatoes
- 1 egg white, whisked ’til foamy
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Thoroughly wash and scrub the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into thin strips (~1cm) with the skin on.
- Soak the potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain out the water and pat the potatoes dry.
- Toss the potatoes in the foamy egg white and generously salt & pepper.
- On a baking sheet lined with PARCHMENT PAPER, scatter ~20 potato sticks. Make sure that there is plenty of room, no crowding!!
- Bake for 6-8 minutes then flip. Bake for another 6-8 minutes, and enjoy :)!!