Whole Wheat Pita Pockets via Tammy’s Recipes (8-6″ pita pockets)
- 1 1/4 c. luke warm water
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 2 t. granulated sugar
- 2 3/4 c. stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c. gluten
- 1 1/2 t. active dry yeast
– – –
- Preheat oven to 500F. Combine the warm water, oil, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add 1 c. of the whole wheat flour, gluten, and yeast to the water mixture to form a soft dough. Then, pinch in / knead the remaining flour. Not all of the flour will want to combine with the dough, but that’s alright…no additional flour will need to be added when rolling out the pitas later! Once the dough forms, tightly cover the bowl with saran wrap & cover the bowl with 2-3 kitchen towels.
- After about one hour, remove the towels and saran wrap. Gently punch the dough, and then evenly divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Form the 8 pieces of dough into rounds. On a clean surface, roll the rounds into ~6″ circles.
- Cover the rolled out dough with a few kitchen towels again, and let them sit for another 30 minutes to slightly puff.
- Bake the pitas one at a time on a clean cooling rack for exactly TWO minutes. DO NOT open the oven during that time!!!
- Take the pita out of the oven– it will be puffed like a sphere. In between the layers of pitas place a damp paper towel to fully cover the pita, this is VERY important! With the paper towel covering the pita, gently press down on the pita to release internal air.
- Let the pitas cool completely with the damp paper towels before saran-wrapping them for storage :)